World Cinema: Film of Choice Project
Reserve (for use in the Library ONLY)
- The big screen : the story of the movies. Reserve PN1993.5.U6 T463 2012
- Oxford history of world cinema. Reserve PN1993.5.A1 O96 1995
- Short history of film. Reserve PN1993.5.A1 D53 2008 (also online via ACLS Humanities Collection)
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
- Cinema studies : the key concepts. Ref PN1993.45 .H36 2013
- The new biographical dictionary of film. Ref PN1998.2 .T49 2002
- Schirmer encyclopedia of film. Ref PN1993.45 .G65 2007 4 vols (also an online ebook)
Taft Online Subscriptions
- Academic OneFile Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from leading journals and reference sources. (Do an advanced search and limit to document type Movie review.)
- Academic Search Complete (Ebsco) Full text access to thousands of journals in all disciplines. (To find movie reviews, search your title as general search and use MOTION PICTURE REVIEW as a subject.
- Biography in Context More than 430,000 biographies as well as related full-text articles from hundreds of magazines and newspapers
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century
- New York Times 1851-2008 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) Graphical interface and full-text coverage back to the first issue in 1851 (Click here for Traditional Interface)
- New York Times 1980-current (ProQuest) Traditional interface and full-text coverage (FT coverage of NYT Magazine and Book Review begins 1997)
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785 - 2010 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper (with an advanced search you can limit to reviews)
see Finding and Evaluating Websites for hints on how to locate additional quality websites.
- Film History By Decade: 100 Years of Movies (Pre-1920s to 2015)
- Film Literature Index
- Film reference
- Film Studies for Free (A-Z list of links to online, Open Access, English-language Film-Studies related e-journals and other relevant scholarly, periodical websites with at least some Open Access content)
- Google Scholar a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
- Images Journal
- International Movies (reviews, director and actor profiles, and international film festival details)
- Media Studies at UCSB
- Movie Review Query Engine
- Moving Image Source
- Time Magazine Vault here you can look at all the Time magazine covers for a given year, as well as browse by subject. Deep access is by subscription only, but the covers do tell a lot and provide dates that you can plug into our periodical databases.
- NPR Movie Reviews
- Online Film Critics Society (World's oldest organization of online film critics; includes reviews 2011-2016)