Senior Research and Composition: General Guide
- Taft History Department Research Guide prepared by Greg Hawes, 2005
- Formatting your paper using Chicago-Turabian Style Helpful websites from University Writing Centers, including a sample paper
- Book Review Guide
Encyclopedias and Reference Books/eBooks
Search large collections of ebooks simultaneously in these databases:: Gale Virtual Reference Library, Infobase ebooks, and Salem History. Also: Britannica Academic Online contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
The Library's RhinoCAT is an automated catalog of books, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCAT is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCAT that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
Refer to Databases on the Library homepage for complete list
- Academic Search Complete Full text access to thousands of journals in all disciplines
- Classroom Video on Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- Encyclopædia Britannica Online The complete EB, plus recommended web links and full-text journal articles
- Global Issues in Context News, perspectives, video, reference, country information, primary source documents, and statistics on issues of global importance
- Issues in the News (Offered by America's Historical Newspapers)
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century
- New York Times 1851-2008 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) Graphical interface and full-text coverage back to the first issue in 1851 (Click here for Traditional Interface)
- New York Times 1980-current (ProQuest) Traditional interface and full-text coverage (FT coverage of NYT Magazine and Book Review begins 1997)
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Viewpoint articles, reference content, full-text magazines, academic journals, and newspapers, primary source documents, statistics, and links to web sites
- SIRS Knowledge Source General reference database containing thousands of full-text articles and other resources, including U. S. government documents
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785-1985 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
- U.S. History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
See the course guide Finding Primary Sources for ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library.