Mark W. Potter Gallery
The Mark W. Potter Gallery sits at the heart of the school, where old meets new at the crossroads of the historic Horace Dutton Taft and Charles Phelps Taft Halls, and the modern Arts and Humanities wing. It is an apt metaphor for a space so deeply rooted in the school’s history, with such visionary purpose.
The gallery honors the legacy of Mark Winslow Potter, member of the class of 1948, teacher, schoolmaster, painter, and mentor. Like Potter, himself, the gallery cultivates artistic and intellectual growth in the Taft community; in our students, faculty, alumni, families, and friends.
Programs and exhibitions in the Mark W. Potter Gallery feature the work of Taft students, visiting artists, and alumni. The gallery hosts traveling exhibitions, artist receptions, and gallery talks. All are carefully curated to develop the art of seeing—that active encounter of the artist’s intention and the viewer’s attention. They foster dialogue about aesthetic and cultural values, while educating and inspiring visitors, and challenging them to reflect on the complex meanings conveyed in visual signs, gestures, and subjects.