Hockey - Boys' Varsity
Avon Old Farms School
Subscribe to Alerts
Avon Old Farms School
Avon Old Farms School
500 Old Farms Rd
Avon, CT 06001
Today’s battle against the Winged Beavers of Avon Old Farms came after an emotional loss to Berkshire for the D’Arco Cup at Odden Arena. Taft entered the game with an 0-2 record while Avon has a 1-1 start. The Big Red found themselves on the road for the first time during Housatonic League and Founder’s League action. The team’s legs were still on the bus to start the contest. The first 5 minutes were played heavily in Taft’s defensive end. Senior goaltender, Caleb Hannon, was forced to make difficult saves early and often to help keep Taft at 0-0. Eventually Avon’s Jason Siedem scored 5:13 into the first by beating Taft to the net for a rebound goal. The rest of the first period was much of the same. Avon scored a power play goal 12:22 into the period, again by Siedem, after Taft took an unnecessary cross-checking penalty. Less than one minute later Avon took advantage of an offensive zone turnover and tallied their third of the period with less than 5 minutes to go. Finn Walker ‘19 hit the post for Taft with 4 minutes to go after a simple, hard working shift with Dennis Franklin ‘19 and Jack Sheehan ’18 but the score would remain 3-0 in favor of Avon at the end of the first. With morale low in the locker room during intermission, the team attempted to come together and push back. The tone and tempo of the second was greatly improved from the first. The Franklin, Walker, Sheehan line continued their pace and others followed. Senior Captain, Jordan Tonelli, joined by Shea Courtmanche and Ryan Colwell, supplied consistent pressure for the majority of the second period with Colwell scoring on a partial breakaway half way through the period. Upper middler captain Billy Dobensky and middler Christian Jimenez lead the defense with quick puck movement and smart decisions to continue pressure in the opposition’s zone. The Rhino’s found themselves on the power-play to start the third period, potentially cutting the Winged Beaver lead to one. After a miscue on a change that was called for too-many men, that momentum was lost. Avon tallied on the ensuing power play to make it 4-1. Avon would cap off the scoring 5 minutes later to make it 5-1. The Big Red returns to action in the Lawrenceville Tournament on December 15th vs. Lawrenceville. Exam week begins tomorrow and the Big Red will be working diligently on and off the ice.