Hollywood & America in the 21st Century
Reserve (for use in the Library ONLY)
- The big screen : the story of the movies. Reserve PN1993.5.U6 T463 2012
- Oxford history of world cinema Reserve PN1993.5.A1 O96 1995
- Short history of film. Reserve PN1993.5.A1 D53 2008 (also online via ACLS Humanities Collection)
- Understanding movies / Louis Giannetti. PN1994 .G47 2018 [on permanent reserve]
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
- The 2000s in America. Ref E 174 2000 .N56 2013 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- America's film legacy : the authoritative guide to the landmark movies in the National Film Registry. Ref PN1993.5.U6 .E15 2010
- Cinema studies : the key concepts. Ref PN1993.45 .H36 2013
- Movies in American History: An Encyclopedia 2011 (an online ebook)
- The new biographical dictionary of film. Ref PN1998.2 .T49 2002
- Schirmer encyclopedia of film. Ref PN1993.45 .G65 2007 4 vols (also an online ebook)
Taft Online Subscriptions
- Academic OneFile Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from leading journals and reference sources. (Do an advanced search and limit to document type Movie review.)
- Academic Search Complete (Ebsco) Full text access to thousands of journals in all disciplines. (To find movie reviews, search your title as general search and use MOTION PICTURE REVIEW as a subject.
- Biography in Context More than 430,000 biographies as well as related full-text articles from hundreds of magazines and newspapers
- Encyclopædia Britannica Online the complete EB, plus authoritative websites and full-text journal articles. Tip: choose "Year in Review" from your search results list.
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century
- New York Times 1851-2008 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) Graphical interface and full-text coverage back to the first issue in 1851 (Click here for Traditional Interface)
- New York Times 1980-current (ProQuest) Traditional interface and full-text coverage (FT coverage of NYT Magazine and Book Review begins 1997)
Taft Online Subscriptions Direct Links to Culture Content
- U. S. History in Context: article titled "2000s" from a reference source, BOWLING BEATNIKS, BELL-BOTTOMS: POP CULTURE OF THE 20TH AND 21ST C.
- Archived Reports Year in Review 2004-2015 from Access world news (Newsbank) Scroll down to Archived Reports Year in Review 2004-2015
- American History Online The 21st Century: 2000–Present Timeline
see Finding and Evaluating Websites for hints on how to locate additional quality websites.
- Digital Librarian: Movies
- Film History By Decade: 100 Years of Movies (Pre-1920s to 2015)
- Film Literature Index
- Film reference
- Film Studies for Free (A-Z list of links to online, Open Access, English-language Film-Studies related e-journals and other relevant scholarly, periodical websites with at least some Open Access content)
- Google Scholar a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
- Images Journal
- Media Studies at UCSB
- Movie Review Query Engine
- Moving Image Source
- Time Magazine Vault here you can look at all the Time magazine covers for a given year, as well as browse by subject. Deep access is by subscription only, but the covers do tell a lot and provide dates that the kids can plug into our periodical databases, for instance
- The People History New Millenium (News, Events, Technology, Prices and Popular Culture)
- Pop Culture Timeline 1750 - 2012 (Gale Cengage)
- World Film