Honors Comparative Literature: 11th century Heian Culture, Japan
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
START HERE: These resources provide essential background information - who, what, when, where, why, how
- Search large collections of reference ebooks simultaneously in these databases:
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Salem History Full content of a number of print reference sets including Great Events from History, Great Lives from History, Decades (20th century American history), and Defining Documents in American History. Choose any number of these sets to search simultaneously.
- Salem Literature Full content of a number of print reference sets. Choose any number of these sets to search simultaneously.
- Britannica Academic Online contains the complete and regularly updated Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
- Cultural atlas of Japan. Ref DS821 .C62 1988
- Dictionary of art. Ref N31 .D5 1996 34 vols (also online in Oxford Art Online)
- Encyclopedia of Asian history. Ref DS31 .E53 1987 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of religion. BL31 .E46 2005 15 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of society and culture in the medieval world. Ref CB351 .E53 2008 4 vols
- Great events from history: the Middle Ages, 477-1453. Ref D119 .G74 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history: the Middle Ages, 477-1453. Ref CT114 .G74 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Japan: an illustrated encyclopedia. Ref DS805 .J263 1993 2 vols
- Oxford encyclopedia of women in world history. Ref HQ1121 .O93 2008 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Women in world history: a biographical encyclopedia. Ref HQ1115 .W6 1999 17 vols (also an online ebook)
- Additionally, a number of other databases contain reference articles (see Taft Online Subscription Databases below)
Books / eBooks
(also called secondary sources and monographs)
RhinoCat is the Library's automated catalog of books, ebooks, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCat is available from any browser at http://library.taftschool.org. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, open the book's full record, scroll down and click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your project.
- Books on Reserve at the Circulation Desk (SIGN OUT FOR USE IN LIBRARY ONLY for duration of assignment)
- Cambridge history of Japan, v. 2. Heian Japan / edited by Donald H. Shively and William H. McCullough
- Early Japan / Jonathan Norton Leonard
- History of Japan to 1334 / George Sansom
- Japan: a short cultural history / G. B. Sansom
- Japanese culture / H. Paul Varley
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Ancient and Medieval History Online Reference articles, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos on eight ancient and medieval civilizations
- Biography in Context Biographies of more than 650,000 individuals from Gale's vast reference collection as well as related full-text articles from journals, magazines and newspapers, audio-visual content, and websites.
- Daily Life Through History (Academic) This comprehensive collection of primary and secondary sources provides insight into the social history of societies from prehistory to the 21st-century. Includes authoritative content from more than 75 Greenwood reference works and original journal articles from prominent historians.
- Oxford Art Online Includes the full text of the 34-volume print edition of The Dictionary of Art plus several other art reference works
- Oxford Music Online Includes the full text of the 29-volume print edition of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians plus several other music reference works.
- World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras Authoritative primary and secondary sources, reference articles, in-depth explorations of key topics, and profiles of city-states, countries, and regions of the ancient world.
- Journal article databases
- Image database
- Britannica ImageQuest Access millions of images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use
- See also Websites below for links to several image websites.
- Video database
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
Wikipedia's general disclaimer: "Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields."
- Ten Simple Rules for Effective Oral Presentations by Philip E. Bourne
- To find reliable websites:
- Britannica Academic includes links to recommended websites.
- SweetSearch: a Search Engine for Students searches only credible websites approved by research experts.
- Google Advanced Search
- Limit your search to reliable domains by including the phrase site:gov OR site:edu OR site:ac.uk (gov for U. S. government agencies; edu for educational institutions in the U.S.; ac.uk for educational institutions in the United Kingdom)
- Here's an example for a topic on literature of the Heian period in Japan. Think about other terms you can swap in and out.
* see the course guide Find and Evaluate Websites for more information
In addition to the database Britannica ImageQuest, you can use these sites to find images:
- Finding Public Domain Images for Multimedia Projects (from EdTechTeacher.org)
- Wikimedia Commons (a collection of over 51 million freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute)
- Google Images (click on Tools -- Choose Usage Rights -- Choose Labelled for noncommercial reuse)