Honors Comparative Literature: American Justice System
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
Search hundreds of reference sources simultaneously in the Gale Virtual Reference Library. Additionally, a number of databases contain reference articles (see Taft Online Subscription Databases below)
- The Bill of Rights. Ref KF4750 .B55 2017 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Crime and punishment in America. Ref HV6799 .W65 2010 (also an online ebook)
- The Criminal Justice System. Ref KF9217 .C75 2017 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of American civil rights & liberties. Ref KF4748 .E53 2006 3 vols (2017 ed. available as an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of American law and criminal justice. Ref KF154 .E528 2012 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of gender and society. Ref HQ1115 .E54 2009 2 vols
- Human rights and the United States. Ref KF4747.5 .C37 2017 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Poverty in the United States: an encyclopedia of history, politics, and policy. Ref HC110 .P6 P598 2004 2 vols
On Reserve at the Circulation Desk
(Sign out for use IN LIBRARY ONLY for duration of assignment)
- A century of juvenile justice / edited by Margaret K. Rosenheim et al. KF9779 .C46 2002
- The Innocence Commission / Jon B.Gould. KFV2987 .G68 2008
- Locking up our own : crime and punishment in black America / James Forman, Jr. HV9950 .F655 2017
- The new Jim Crow : mass incarceration in the age of colorblindness / Michelle Alexander. HV9950 .A437 2010
- Profiling and criminal justice in America : a reference handbook / Jeff Bumgarner. HV9950 .B86 2015
- Race, incarceration, and American values / Glenn C. Loury. HV6197.U5 L68 2008
- Racial profiling : everyday inequality / Alison Marie Behnke. HV7936.R3 B46 2017
- Unusually cruel : prisons, punishment, and the real American exceptionalism / Marc Morjé Howard. HV8139 .H69 2017
- Victims' rights: a reference handbook / Leigh Glenn. KF9763 .G58 1997
- With justice for some : victims' rights in criminal trials / George P. Fletcher. KF9763 .F58 1995
- Women in American society /Melissa J. Doak (an online ebook only)
- The wrong men : America's epidemic of wrongful death row convictions / Stanley Cohen. HV8698 .C64 2003
Look for additional books by searching RhinoCat, the Library's automated catalog of books, ebooks, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCat is available from any browser at http://library.taftschool.org. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, open the book's full record, scroll down and click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Limit your search to Full Text, Articles, and language
- Britannica ImageQuest Access millions of images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use (see Websites below for more image resources)
- Global Issues in Context News, perspectives, video, reference, country information, primary source documents, and statistics on issues of global importance
- Issues & Controversies Provides exclusive, extensive coverage of hundreds of today's hot topics, with unbiased analysis and rich related resources.
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century. Also contains a 19th century British pamphlet collection and ebook content.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Viewpoint articles, reference content, full-text magazines, academic journals, and newspapers, primary source documents, statistics, and links to web sites
- ResearchIT CT Newstand Contains the following full text newspapers: Christian Science Monitor (1988-present), Hartford Courant (1992-present), Los Angeles Times (1985-present), New York Times (6/1/1980-present), Wall Street Journal (1984-present), Washington Post (1987-present)
- Sirs Knowledge Source General reference database containing thousands of full-text articles and other resources. Includes a pro/con issues database and SIRS Government, a comprehensive resource for the study of all aspects of U.S. federal government, including government documents, Supreme Court decisions, and more.
- From the Wikipedia essay on Academic use: "Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic writing or research."
- Ten Simple Rules for Effective Oral Presentations by Philip E. Bourne
- 9 Powerpoint Presentation Tips for Students (from Lifewire, a leading technology information site)
- To find reliable websites:
Here's an example using capital punishment in the United States . Think about other terms you can swap in and out.
You can also limit your search to reliable domains by including the phrase site:gov OR site:edu (gov for U. S. government agencies; edu for educational institutions in the U.S.)
*For more information on finding high quality websites, see Finding and Evaluating Websites.
In addition to the database Britannica ImageQuest, you can use these sites to find images:
- Finding Public Domain Images for Multimedia Projects (from EdTechTeacher.org)
- Wikimedia Commons (a collection of over 40 million freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute)
- Google Image search (click on Tools -- Choose Usage Rights -- Choose Labelled for noncommercial reuse)