AP Comparative Government: British and Mexican Revolutions
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
To search large collections of ebooks simultaneously: Gale Virtual Reference Library, Infobase eBooks, and Salem History.
Also: Britannica Academic contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica, plus primary sources, ebook content, images and video, journal articles, and recommended websites.
- Cambridge historical encyclopedia of Great Britain and Ireland. Ref DA 34 .C28 1985
- Constitutions of the world. Ref K 3157 .E5 M33 1995
- Defining Documents in World History: The 17th Century (1601-1700). Ref D242 .A17 2017 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture , 2nd ed. 2008 6 vols (an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of Latin America. F 1406 .E5155 2010 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of political revolutions. Ref JC 491 .E63 1998
- Encyclopedia of politics and religion. Ref BL65 .P7 E53 1998 2 vols
- Encyclopedia of the Enlightenment. Ref B 802 .E53 2003 4 vols
- Europe, 1450 to 1789. Ref D 209 .E97 2004 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- European political facts, 1648-1789. Ref JN 9 B3 1984
- Gale encyclopedia of world history: governments. 2008 (an online ebook)
- Gale encyclopedia of world history: war. 2008 (an online ebook)
- Great Britain: a reference guide from the Renaissance to the present. Ref DA 30 .T665 2003 (also an online ebook)
- Great events from history: the 17th century, 1601-1700. Ref D 246 .G68 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great events from history: the 20th century, 1901-1940. Ref D 421 .G629 2007 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history: the 17th century, 1601-1700. Ref CT 117 .G74 2006 (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history: the 20th century, 1901-2000. Ref CT120 .G687 2008 (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history: notorious lives. Ref HV 6245 .G687 2007 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- History of government from the earliest times: empires, monarchies, and the modern state. Ref JF 51 .F57 1999 3 vols
- Latin America, history and culture. Ref F 1406 .T46 1999 4 vols
- Milestone documents in world history : exploring the primary sources that shaped the world. Ref D5 .M55 2009 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Oxford companion to British history. Ref DA 34 .O93 1997 (see Subject Index under "constitution" for related articles)
- Oxford handbook of the English revolution. 2015 (an online ebook)
- Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Latin American History. 2018 (an online ebook)
- War and religion: an encyclopedia of faith and conflict. Ref BL85 .W37 2017 3 vols (also an online ebook)
Books / eBooks
RhinoCat is the Library's automated catalog of books, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCat is available from any browser at http://library.taftschool.org. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits.TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, open the book's full record, scroll down and click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project.
- The causes of the English revolution, 1529-1642 / Lawrence Stone
- Intellectual origins of the English Revolution revisited / Christopher Hill
- Revolution and rebellion in the early modern world / Jack A. Goldstone
- Revolutionary Mexico : the coming and process of the Mexican Revolution / John M. Hart (print copy on reserve)
- The life and times of Pancho Villa / Friedrich Katz
- Zapata and the Mexican Revolution / John Womack Jr.
Books on Reserve at the Circulation Desk (Sign out for use IN LIBRARY ONLY for duration of assignment)
- England's Glorious Revolution, 1688-1689: a brief history with documents / Steven C. A. Pinkus. DA 435 .P56 2006
- The century of revolution, 1603-1714 / Christopher Hill. DA 375 H5
- From counter-reformation to Glorious Revolution / Hugh Trevor-Roper. DA 375 .T74 1992
- A history of Britain: the wars of the British, 1603-1776 / Simon Schama. DA 30 .S33 2000 vol. 2
- A monarchy transformed : Britain 1603-1714 / Mark Kishlansky. DA 375 .K575 1996
- The Origins of the English Civil War: conspiracy, crusade or class conflict? / Philip A. M. Taylor. DA 415 .T3
- Rebellion : the history of England from James I to the Glorious Revolution / Peter Ackroyd. DA 375 .A25 2014
- Competing voices from the Mexican revolution / ed. by Chris Frazer. F 1234 .C734 2010
- In the shadow of the Mexican revolution: contemporary Mexican history, 1910-1989 / Hector Aquilar Camin and Lorenzo Meyer. F1234 .A22513 1993
- The Mexican revolution : a brief history with documents / Mark Wasserman. F1234 .W373 2012
- The Mexican revolution: a very short introduction / Alan Knight. F 1234 .K653 2014
- The Mexican revolution: counter-revolution and reconstruction / Alan Knight. F 1234 .K65 1986 vol. 2
- The Oxford history of Mexico / William Beezley. F 1226 .O94 2000
- Revolutionary Mexico : the coming and process of the Mexican Revolution / John M. Hart. F 1234 .H3 1987 (also an online ebook)
- Villa and Zapata : a history of the Mexican revolution / Frank McLynn. F 1234 .M155 2001
See the course guide Find Primary Sources for ways to locate documents in our library and online.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- America's Historical Newspapers 1690 – 2000 Full facsimile images of American papers back to the colonial era (Tip: limit search to time period and place of publication, for instance, the Mexican border states)
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topic
- JSTOR Hundreds of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century which may be primary source material.
- Modern World History Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- New York Times Proquest Historical Newspapers Full-text coverage 1851-2014
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785-2012 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
FOR JOURNAL ARTICLES:
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Refine your results list using options in the left sidebar, including full text, date range, source types, and more
- JSTOR Hundreds of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century.
- From the Wikipedia essay on Academic use: "Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic writing or research."
- To find reliable websites:
- Britannica Academic includes links to recommended websites.
- SweetSearch: a Search Engine for Students searches only credible websites approved by research experts. (Note: Ignore first group of results labeled Ad)
- Limit your search to reliable domains by including the phrase site:gov OR site:edu OR site:ac.uk (gov for U.S. government agencies; edu for educational institutions in the U.S.; ac.uk for educational institutions in the United Kingdom.)
- Here's an example using "Mexican revolution". Think about other terms you can swap in and out.
*For more information on finding high quality websites, see Find and Evaluating Websites.
- The BCW Project: British Civil Wars, Commonwealth and Protectorate 1638-1660
- British History: Civil War and Revolution, 1603-1714 (from the BBC)
- Britain's Unwritten Constitution (article by Robert Blackburn, from the British Library)
- The Constitute Project (the world's constitutions to read, search, and compare)
- The Development of Parliamentary Authority: the Civil War, the Gunpowder Plot, and the Glorious Revolution (from Parliament's Living Heritage pages)
- Documents Illustrating Jacobite History (from the website The Jacobite Heritage compiled by librarian Noel S. McFerran)
- EuroDocs: History of the United Kingdom: Primary Documents
- The Glorious Revolution (a British government Factsheet in pdf format)
- The History of the Mexican Constitution (from the Library of Congress Law Library)
- Internet Modern History Sourcebook (a large collection of documents from Prof. Paul Halsall, Fordham University)
- The Mexican Revolution (a sampling of articles from historic newspapers that can be found in the Chronicling America: American Historic Newspapers digital collection of the Library of Congress)
- Mexican Revolution and Beyond (links to websites and primary source documents from CasaHistoria.net)
- Mexican Revolution, ca 1910-1917 (a collection of 381 photographs and postcards from Beinecke Library, Yale University)
- Mexican Revolution 1910-1920 (produced by the Latin American Revolutions class at Truman State University, MO)
- Primary Sources on Latin American Revolutions (from North Carolina State University)