AP European History: Post AP Project
The French army entering Rome, 15 February 1798 by Hippolyte Lecomte (1781-1857)
Find a history image, work of art, or other illustration
- See the course guide Find Free or Rights-Cleared Images for Projects for library databases containing images you may use.
- Google Images (click on Tools -- Choose Size: Large AND Usage Rights: Labelled for noncommercial reuse)
- Google Advanced Image Search
- Here's a sample search for Large images of Napoleon's campaign in Italy during the French Revolutionary Wars that are free to use and share.
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
START HERE: These resources provide essential background information - who, what, when, where, why, how.
- Search large collections of reference ebooks simultaneously in these databases:
- Britannica Academic contains the complete and regularly updated Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access
- Dictionary of art. Ref N31 .D5 1996 34 vols (also online in the database Oxford art online)
- Encyclopedia of European social history from 1350 to 2000. Ref HN373 .E63 2001 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Europe, 1450-1789: encyclopedia of the early modern world. Ref D209 .E97 2004 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Europe 1789-1914: encyclopedia of the age of industry and empire. 2006 5 vols (an online ebook)
- Europe since 1914: encyclopedia of the age of war and reconstruction. 2005 5 vols (an online ebook)
- Great Events from History:
- Renaissance and early modern era, 1454-1600. Ref D228 .G73 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- The 17th century, 1601-1700. Ref D 246 .G68 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- The 18th century, 1701-1800. Ref D 286 .G74 2006 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- The 19th century, 1801-1900. Ref D 286 .G74 2006 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- The 20th century, 1901-1940. Ref D 358 .G74 2006 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- The 20th century, 1941-1970. Ref D421 .G6295 2008 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Timelines of the arts and literature. Ref NX447.5 .B76 1994
Books / eBooks
(also called secondary sources and monographs)
RhinoCat is the Library's automated catalog of books, ebooks, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCat is available from any browser at http://library.taftschool.org. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, open the book's full record, scroll down and click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your project.
- Search Rhinocat for library books and ebooks containing primary source documents by copying and pasting the following phrase into the basic keyword search, substituting your topic for xxxxx: su,wrdl: personal narratives or su,wrdl: sources or su,wrdl: diaries and kw,phr: xxxxx
- Primary source databases
- Annual Register A year-by-year record of British and world events, published annually since 1758.
- British Periodicals (1681-1937) Full facsimile images of more than 160 periodicals from the late seventeenth century to the early twentieth. Topics covered include literature, philosophy, history, science, the fine arts, and the social sciences.
- New York Times: ProQuest Historical Newspapers Full-text coverage 1851-2008.
- The Times (London) Digital Archive, 1785 - 2013 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper.
- See Taft Online Subscription Databases and Websites below for additional resources containing primary sources.
- See also the course guide Find Primary Sources for more ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library and on the internet.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Biography in Context Biographies of more than 650,000 individuals from Gale's vast reference collection as well as related full-text articles from journals, magazines and newspapers, audio-visual content, and websites.
- Daily Life Through History (Academic) This comprehensive collection of primary and secondary sources provides insight into the social history of societies from prehistory to the 21st-century. Includes authoritative content from more than 75 Greenwood reference works and original journal articles from prominent historians.
- Modern World History Online Reference articles, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- National Geographic Virtual Library Features the entire magazine archive 1888 - present.
- Oxford Art Online Includes the full text of the 34-volume print edition of The Dictionary of Art plus several other art reference works.
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia.
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
- Journal article databases
Wikipedia's general disclaimer: "Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields."
- Find reliable websites
Limit your search to reliable domains by including the phrase site:gov OR site:edu OR site:ac.uk (gov for U. S. government agencies; edu for educational institutions in the U.S.; ac.uk for educational institutions in the United Kingdom)
* see the course guide Find and Evaluate Websites for more information