AP U.S. History: Historiography Project
About the historiographic essay
- What is historiography? (includes a sample historiographic essay; from History Department at Queens College, New York)
- What is historiography? (a YouTube video discussion on the distinction between history and historiography by Mark D. Bowles, Professor of History at American Public University System)
Encyclopedias and Reference Books/eBooks
- Book Review Digest. Index/Ref Z1219 .C96 1905 to 2012 (A digest of book reviews appearing in approximately 80 periodicals, reviewing some 4,000 books annually; includes subject/title index)
- "Historians and historiography, African American" in Encyclopedia of African-American culture and history. 2006 6 vols (an online ebook)
- "Historiography" in The Oxford encyclopedia of American cultural and intellectual history. Ref E169.1 .O945 2013 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- "Historiography, American" in Dictionary of American History. Ref E174.D52 2003 10 vols (also an online ebook)
- Oxford Research Encyclopedia of American History (Substantive, peer-reviewed, and regularly updated, Oxford Research Encyclopedias offer long-form overview articles written, peer-reviewed, and edited by leading scholars. All of the content is brand new and has been written specifically for this online format. Of special interest are the historiographies at the end of the articles, primary sources and links to digital materials.)
The Library's RhinoCat is our automated catalog of print and non-print books, DVDs, and other library materials. It is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits.
TIPS: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project. And to find books available in ebook format, include the keyword "electronic" in your search.
On Reserve at the Circulation Desk
(Sign out for use IN LIBRARY ONLY for the duration of the assignment)
- American history now / Eric Foner and Lisa McGirr, editors. E175 .A454 2011eb
- A century of American historiography / James M. Banner, editor. E175 .C46 2010
- A companion to 19th-century America / William L. Barney, editor. E338 .C85 2006
- A companion to 20th-century America / Stephen J. Whitfield, editor. E178.6 .C65 2007
- A companion to American cultural history / Karen Halttunen, editor. E169.1 .C684 2014
- A companion to colonial America / Daniel Vickers, editor. E187 . C75 2006
- History in the making: an absorbing look at how American history has changed in the telling over the last 200 years / Kyle Ward. E175.85 .W37 2006
- Interpretations of American history / Francis G. Couvares and Martha Saxton, editors. E178.6 .I53 2009 2 vols
- Rethinking American history in a global age / Thomas Bender, ed. (an online ebook)
Taft Online Subscription Databases
Academic OneFile Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from leading journals and reference sources (under document type, limit to book review)
Academic Search Complete (Ebsco) Full text access to thousands of journals in all disciplines. Coverage is primarily last 20-25 years (Limit to Full Text and under Document Type, limit to book review)
JSTOR Extensive backfiles of scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century (Under Item Type, limit to Reviews. Under Journal Filter/Narrow by discipline and/or journal, you can limit to the discipline your specific topic falls into, e.g. African American Studies, American Indian Studies, Feminist & Women's Studies, History, etc)
New York Times 1851-2008 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) Graphical interface and full-text coverage back to the first issue in 1851(Choose "review" as article type in Graphical interface. In Traditional Interface, choose Advanced Search and under Document type, limit to Review)
New York Times 1980-current (ProQuest) Traditional interface and full-text coverage (FT coverage of NYT Magazine and the NYT Book Review begins 1997) (Choose Advanced Search and under Document type, limit to Review)
You can research the historiography of a specific topic. For example, search in Academic Search Complete for historiography of the reconstruction era using the terms historiography AND United States AND reconstruction . Limit your search to Full Text and Document Type: Book Review.
You can search for a book review using the author's name and the title of the book. For example, search JSTOR for reviews of Kenneth Stampp's 1965 book, The Era of Reconstruction, 1865-1877. Limit to Item Type: Book Review
See Find and Evaluating Websites for information on how to locate high quality websites.
Please read Wikipedia's article on Academic use.
- APUSH American Historiography and Schools of Thought (from John Burkowski Jr., Academy for Advanced Academics of FL International University)
- Google Books (search for your historian to find partial or entire contents of books written by him/her)
- Historiography of American History (1600s to ~2000)
- Historiography of the United States (from Wikipedia; article authors include Richard Jensen, professor of American history at the University of Illinois for more than 20 years)
Using Google to find historiography web pages: your topic area AND "united states" AND historiography
For example: immigration AND "united states" AND historiography