Foundations: Latin America / Africa 1200-1600
Search large collections of reference ebooks simultaneously in these databases: Gale Virtual Reference Library, ABC-Clio Greenwood ebooks, Infobase eBooks and Salem History. Also: Britannica Academic Online contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
- Africana : the encyclopedia of the African and African American experience. Ref DT14 .A37436 2005
- Agriculture in history. Ref E 419 .A37 2010 3 vols
- The Ancient World: extraordinary people in extraordinary societies. 4 vols Ref CB311 .A53 2017
- The Ancient World: Civilizations of the Africa. Ref CB311 .A535 2007 v. 1
- The Ancient World: Civilizations of the Americas. Ref CB311 .A535 2007 v. 3
- Berkshire encyclopedia of world history. Ref D23 .B45 2005 5 vols
- Civilizations of the Americas.
- Early civilizations in the Americas reference library. 2005 4 vols (an online book)
- Encyclopedia of Africa south of the Sahara. Ref DT351 .E53 1997 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of African history. Ref DT20 .E53 2005 3 vols
- Encyclopedia of Latin America. Ref F1406 .E5155 2010 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of Society and Culture in the Ancient World. 4 vols Ref CB311 .E53 2008
- Encyclopedia of Society and Culture in the Medieval World. 4 vols Ref CB351 .E53 2008
- Encyclopedia of world history. Ref D21 .E5775 2008 7 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of world cultures. Ref GN550 .E53 9 vols
- Great events from history : The Middle Ages, 477-1453. Ref D119 .G74 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great events from history : The Renaissance & early modern era, 1454-1600. Ref D228 .G73 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history : The Middle Ages, 477-1453. Ref CT114 .G74 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history : The Renaissance & early modern era, 1454-1600. Ref CT115 .G74 2005 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Latin America, history and culture : an encyclopedia for students. Ref F1406 .T46 19994 4 vols
- The Middle Ages (476-1500) Ref D113 .M53 2015 (also an online ebook)
- The Middle Ages: an encyclopedia for students. 1996 4 vols (an online ebook)
- Middle Ages reference library. 2001 (an online ebook)
- Milestone documents in world history : exploring the primary sources that shaped the world. Ref D5 .M55 2009 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- The ongoing Columbian exchange: Stories of biological and economic transfer in world history. Ref RA 643 .C86 2015
- The Oxford encyclopedia of economic history. Ref HC15 .O94 2003 5 vols
- The Oxford encyclopedia of Mesoamerican cultures : the civilizations of Mexico and Central America. Ref F1218.6 .O95 2001 3 vols
- Science and its times: the social significance of scientific discovery. Ref Q175.46 .S35 2000 8 vols (also an online ebook)
- World Eras: West African kingdoms, 500-1590. Ref D20 .W67 2001 v.10 (also an online ebook)
The Library's RhinoCat is our automated catalog of print and non-print books, DVDs, and other library materials. It is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits.
TIPS: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project. And to find books available in ebook format, include the keyword "electronic" in your search.
On Reserve at the Circulation Desk
(Sign out for use IN LIBRARY ONLY for duration of assignment)
- Africa and Africans in the making of the Atlantic world, 1400-1800. (an online ebook)
- Africa and the West : a documentary history from the slave trade to independence. DT353.5 .E9 A34 2010 v.1
- Africa's discovery of Europe: 1450-1850. DT353.5 .E9 N67 2002
- Africa's glorious legacy. DT13 .A37 1994
- Africa: history of a continent. DT20 .D28 1966
- Africa in history. DT20 .D28
- Africa: selected readings. DT22 .B87 1974
- The African Adventure. DT3 .S49 1973
- The African and Middle Eastern world, 600-1500. DS36.85 .P68 2005
- African civilizations: precolonial cities and states in tropical Africa. DT352.3 .C66 1987
- African kingdoms. DT25 .D29
- The African past; chronicles form antiquity to modern times. DT20 .D3
- The Africans. DT 352.8 L28 1982
- Africans: the history of a continent. DT20 .I45 1995
- The civilizations of Africa a history to 1800. (an online ebook)
- Empires of medieval West Africa : Ghana, Mali, and Songhay. DT532 .C66 2005
- A history of Africa. DT20 .F33 1986
- A history of Africa south of the Sahara. DT352 .W48
- History of East Africa. DT365 .H55
- The human record : sources of global history. D5 .A53 2012 v.2
- Lost Cities of Africa. DT25 .D3 1959
- The Middle age of African history. DT20 O39
- Through African eyes. DT1 .T48 1988
- West Africa before the colonial era. DT476 .D35 1998
- Wonders of the African World. DT14 .G385 1999
Central and South America
- Ancient America. E61 .L62
- Ancient civilizations of the Andes. F3429 .M53 1964
- Ancient Mexican architecture. F1219.3 A6 S713 1968b
- The ancient sun kingdoms of the Americas: Aztec, Maya, Inca. E65 .V6 1962
- The art of Mesoamerica: from Olmec to Aztec. F1219.3 .A7 M55 2006
- The Aztec, man and tribe. F1219 V72
- Aztecs: an interpretation. F1219.76.S64 C44 1991
- The Aztecs : gods and fate in ancient Mexico. F1219.73 .B87 1980
- Aztecs: reign of blood and splendor. F1219.73 .A975
- Brazil: five centuries of change. F2521 .S54 1999
- Daily life in Maya civilization. (an online ebook)
- Daily life in the Inca empire. (an online ebook)
- Daily life of the Aztecs. (an online ebook)
- Empire of the Inca. F3429 B84
- Everyday life of the Aztecs. F1219 .B845 E9 1987
- Everyday life of the Incas. F3429 .K47
- Everyday life of the Maya. F1435 .W65 E9 1987
- Handbook to life in the Aztec world. F1219.73 .A35 2006 (also an online ebook)
- Handbook to life in the ancient Maya world. F1435 .F676 2002 (also an online ebook)
- Handbook to life in the Inca empire. (an online ebook)
- The Inca empire: formation and disintegration of a pre-capitalist state. F3492.3 .P65 P38 1991
- Inca: lords of gold and glory. F3492.I61992.
- Maya civilization. F1435.3.A7 .M2513 1998
- Moctezuma's Mexico. F1219 .C36 1992
- Old civilizations of Inca land. F3492 .M46 1972
- Pre-Columbian architecture of Mesoamerica. F1219.3 .A6 H4913
- Rise and fall of the Maya civilization. F1435 .T497 1966
- The world of the Incas. F3429 .P87
See the course guide Finding Primary Sources for ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library and on the internet.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
To find journal articles, use Academic Search Complete and JSTOR.
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Limit your search to Full Text, Articles, and language
- Ancient and Medieval History Online Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos on eight ancient and medieval civilizations
- Biography in Context Biographies of more than 650,000 individuals from Gale's vast reference collection as well as related full-text articles from journals, magazines and newspapers, audio-visual content, and websites.
- Biography Reference Bank Biographies of more than 600,000 individuals, including the full-text of Current Biography magazine 1940 - current
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- Daily Life Through History Explore aspects of everyday life in different historical eras through thousands of primary sources and information from over 100 books from Greenwood Press and ABC-Clio.
- History Reference Center An Ebsco database featuring content from reference books, non-fiction books, and history periodicals
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century. Also contains a 19th century British pamphlet collection and ebook content.
- Modern World History Online Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- Oxford Art Online Includes the full text of the 34-volume print edition of The Dictionary of Art plus several other art reference works
- Oxford Music Online Includes the full text of the 29-volume print edition of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians plus several other music reference works.
- World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras Authoritative primary and secondary sources, in-depth explorations of key topics, and profiles of city-states, countries, and regions of the ancient world.
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
- See Find and Evaluating Websites for information on how to locate quality websites in our Library and online.
- Please read Wikipedia's article on Academic use.
- African art (Thematic essays from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, covering the empires of Mali, Songhay, Ghana, Asante, Great Zimbabwe, and much more)
- Ancient Civilizations from USHistory.org
- FAMSI Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies
- Kingdom of Mali (description of the visit to Cairo in 1324 by the King of Mali, Mansa Musa, was written by Al-Umari, who visited Cairo several years after the Mansa Musa’s visit)
- Kingdom of Ghana (written by Al-Bakri, a member of a prominent Spanish Arab family who lived during the 11th century)
- Kingdom of Songhay (Leo Africanus, an Arab traveler visited Timbuktu in the Kingdom of Songhay early in the 1500s and left this description of that city)
- History World, History of Mesoamerican Civilization.
- Internet History Sourcebooks from Fordam University African History and The Early Modern World
- Internet African history sourcebook (a collection of documents from Fordham University
- Kingdoms of the Middle Sudan (history of the African states of Mali, Songhay, Kanem-Bornu, and Hausa; from Xavier University)
- Medieval Sourcebook: Ibn Battuta: Travels in Asia and Africa 1325-1354
- Primary Reader in African History Selective readings, chosen with an eye to their illumination of important themes in African history and the history of the slave trade.
- The story of Africa (Companion website to the BBC program; “the history of the continent from an African perspective”)