Foundations: Islam and the Modern World
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
Search large collections of reference ebooks simultaneously in these databases: Gale Virtual Reference Library and Salem History. Also: Britannica Academic Online contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
- Encyclopedia of fundamentalism. Ref BL238 .E63 2001
- Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim world. Ref BP40 .E525 2016 2 vols
- Encyclopedia of Islam in the United States. Ref BP67 .U6 E53 2007 2 vols
- Encyclopedia of politics and religion. Ref BL65 .P7 E53 1998 2 vols
- Encyclopedia of religion. Ref BL31 .E46 2005 14 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of the Arab-Israeli conflict: a political, social, and military history. Ref DS119.7 .E5653 2008
- Encyclopedia of the Palestinians. Ref DS113.5 .E53 2005
- Encyclopedia of women and world religion. Ref BL458 .E53 1999 2 vols
- Global social issues: an encyclopedia. Ref H41 .G56 2013 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great events from history:
- The Islamic world: past and present. Ref DS35.53 .I86 2004 3 vols
- The Middle East. Ref DS63.1 .M484 2007
- The Oxford encyclopedia of the Islamic world. Ref DS35.53 .O96 2009 6 vols
- The Oxford encyclopedia of women in world history. Ref HQ1121 .O93 2008 (also an online ebook)
- Religion and violence: an encyclopedia of faith and conflict from antiquity to the present. Ref BL65 .V55 R45555 2011 3 vols
- War and religion: an encyclopedia of faith and conflict. Ref BL85 .W37 2017 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- World terrorism : an encyclopedia of political violence from ancient times to the post-9/11 era. Ref HV6431 .W67 2011 (also an online ebook)
The Library's RhinoCAT is our automated catalog of print and non-print books, DVDs, and other library materials. It is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCAT that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project. BOOKS MAY BE SIGNED OUT FOR A 2 DAY LOAN.
Primary SourcesSee the course guide Finding Primary Sources for ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library and on the internet.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Britannica Image Quest Access millions of images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- Global Issues in Context News, perspectives, video, reference, country information, primary source documents, and statistics on issues of global importance
- Issues & Controversies Provides exclusive, extensive coverage of hundreds of today's hot topics, with unbiased analysis and rich related resources.
- Modern World History Online Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- New York Times
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Viewpoint articles, reference content, full-text magazines, academic journals, and newspapers, primary source documents, statistics, and links to web sites
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785 - 2010 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
- See Find and Evaluating Websites for hints on how to locate quality websites.
- Please read Wikipedia's article on Academic use.