Chinese Communist Revolutions and Mao
How to use NoodleTools
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooksSearch Britannica Academic Online which contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
Search a Subject Specific Collection of e-Reference Books in the Gale Virtual Reference Library on the subject of Chinese Communist Revolutions
- Berkshire encyclopedia of China:. Ref DS735 .A2 B47 2009
- The Cambridge encyclopedia of China. 2nd ed. Ref DS705 .C35 1991
- Companion to Chinese history. Ref DS705 .O63 1987
- Cultural atlas of China. Ref DS721 .B56 1983
- Encyclopedia of China: the essential reference to China, its history and culture. Ref DS705 .P47 1999
- Encyclopedia of modern Asia. Ref DS4 .E53 2002 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of modern China. Ref DS755 .E55 2009 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of world literature in the 20th century. Ref PN 771 E5 1981 4 vols
- Great events from history:
- The 20th century, 1901-1940. Ref D421 .G629 2007 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- The 20th century, 1941-1970. Ref D421 .G6295 2008 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Modern China: an encyclopedia of its history, culture and nationalism. Ref DS733 .M63 1998
The Library's RhinoCAT is our automated catalog of print and non-print books, DVDs, and other library materials. It is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCAT that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Limit your search to Full Text, Articles, and language
- Biography in Context Biographies of more than 650,000 individuals, including the full-text of Current Biography magazine 1940 - current
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- Daily Life Through History Explore aspects of everyday life in different historical eras through thousands of primary sources and information from over 100 books from Greenwood Press and ABC-Clio.
- Modern World History Online Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- New York Times
- ProQuest Historical News Graphical interface Full-text coverage 1851-2008
- ProQuest Historical News Traditional interface Full-text coverage 1851-2008
- Oxford Art Online Includes the full text of the 34-volume print edition of The Dictionary of Art plus several other art reference works
- Oxford Music Online Includes the full text of the 29-volume print edition of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians plus several other music reference works.
- Readers' Guide Retrospective Contains the complete indexing of The Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature, 1890-1982, and full text context where available.
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785 - 2010 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
See the course guide Finding Primary Sources for ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library and on the internet.
- See Find and Evaluating Websites for hints on how to locate quality websites.
- Please read Wikipedia's article on Academic use.
- China: a country study (online version of a book published in 1987 by the U. S. government)
- Chinese Revolution (from Alpha History, a free online textbook and resource center for history teachers and students, this site includes primary source documents, timelines, glossary of related terms, a who's who, and more)
- Communist Nations since 1917 (lecture notes by late Univ. of Kansas professor Anna M. Cienciala; see Chapter 9 on China)
- Intellectual Opinions from the Hundred Flowers Period (downloadable pdf from Columbia University's Asia for Educators containing a sampling of opinions of Chinese intellectuals in May-June 1957)
- Mao and the Great Leap Forward (an article by Edwin Daniel Jacob of the Center for the Study of Genocide and Human Rights at Rutgers University)
- Mao Tse Tung Internet Archive (from Marxists.org)
- Quotations from Mao Tse Tung (Quotations from 1927 to 1964 on the Mao Tse Tung Internet Archive)
- Selected Works of Mao Zedong by Date (from the Mao Tse Tung Internet Archive)
- Art and China's Revolution (companion website to a 2009 exhibition at the Asia Society in New York)
- Art and Ideology in the People's Republic of China (downloadable pdf from Beyond the Border, a collection of films covering war, geography, politics, history and current affairs)
- Art & Politics in Mao's China (companion webpage to a 2005 exhibition at the Springfield Art Museum, Utah)
- Chinese Posters: Propaganda, Politics, History, Art (a virtual exhibition of Chinese propaganda posters)
- Chinese Propaganda Art throughout the Chinese Civil War (An article with bibliography from Australian artist and art blogger Shan Crosbie)
- Mao and the Writers (article by Martin Bernal for the New York Review of Books in 1969)
- Mao-era: Chinese Revolutionary Music (article by teacher Jeffrey Hays on his website Facts and Details)
- Mao's Way: Chinese Propaganda Posters - In Pictures (an exhibition of posters 1969-1979)
- The Red Sun Lights the Road Forward for Tachai (contains many photos from books about Mao's China; from the blog Propaganda Photos: Books, Politics, and Photography)
- Revolutionary Opera and Mao and Communist Theater in China (article by teacher Jeffrey Hays on his website Facts and Details)
- Songs of China's Cultural Revolution (from William A. Joseph, Dept. of Political Science, Wellesley College)
- Theatre and Dance in the Cultural Revolution (from the online book Asian Traditional Theatre and Dance by Jukka O. Miettenin, University of Helsinki and Mahidol University)
- A Visual Sourcebook for Chinese Civilization (Prepared by Patricia Buckley Ebrey of University of Washington)
China's Cultural Revolution in Memories: The CR/10 Project (Video interviews with people who experienced China's Great Proletarian Revolution, 1966-1976)
- Eyewitness: Cultural Revolution (from BBC News)
- I was sentenced to life in a Chinese labour camp. This is my story. (In this article in the British online newspaper The Independent, Harry Wu recounts his 19 year incarceration during the Chinese Cultural Revolution)
- Life and Death in Shanghai (Link to excerpts from Nien Cheng's book of the same title published in Time magazine on June 8, 1987)
- My Youth in China: Growing up in the Cultural Revolution by Yafei Hu and L. James Hammond.
- Voices from China's Cultural Revolution (A New York Times article by Chris Buckley, Didi Kirsten,Jane Perlez, and Amy Qin)