Debate: Partitioning Palestine and India
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
- Colonialism : an international social, cultural, and political encyclopedia. Ref JV22 .C65 2003
- Encyclopedia of Western colonialism since 1450. Ref JV22 .E535 2007 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- Europe Since 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of War and Reconstruction. 2006, vols (an online ebook)
- Great debates at the United Nations : an encyclopedia of fifty key issues 1945-2000. Ref KZ4968 .G67 2001
- Great Events from History
- History Behind the Headlines: The Origins of Conflicts Worldwide. Ref D410.5 .H57 6 vols (also an online ebook)
Dictionary of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Culture, History and Politics. 2005 2 vols (an online ebook)
The Encyclopedia of the Arab-Israeli Conflict : A Political, Social, and Military History. Ref DS119.7 .E5653 2008 4 vols
Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East and North Africa. 2004 4 vols (an online ebook)
Encyclopedia of the Palestinians. Ref DS113.6 .E53 2005 (also an online ebook)
Events That Formed the Modern World: From the European Renaissance through the War on Terror. 2012 5 vols (an online ebook)
The Middle East. Ref DS63.1 .M484 2007 (11th edition)
The Middle East since 1945: second series. (History in dispute, vol. 15) Ref D20 .H543 2000 v.15 (also an online ebook)
Middle East conflict reference library. 2006 4 vols (an online ebook)
- The Cambridge encyclopedia of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, and the Maldives. Ref DS334.9 .C36 1989
- Conflict between India and Pakistan : an encyclopedia. Ref DS450.P18 L86 2008
- Encyclopedia of India. Ref DS405 .E556 2006 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- The British conquest and dominion of India / Sir Penderel Moon.
- A concise history of modern India / Barbara D. Metcalf and Thomas R. Metcalf.
- Freedom at midnight / Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre.
- The great Partition : the making of India and Pakistan / Yasmin Khan.
- The history of India / John McLeod.
- India : a history / John Keay
- India: a modern history, by Percival Spear.
- India and Pakistan / Wayne A. Wilcox.
- Indian Summer: the secret history of the end of an empire / Alex von Tunzelmann.
- Jinnah : India, partition, independence / Jaswant Singh.
- Midnight's furies : the deadly legacy of India's partition / Nisid Hajari.
- Modern India / Percival Griffiths.
- A new history of India /Stanley Wolpert. (also an online book)
- Pakistan / by Adrian Sinkler.
- Pakistan : eye of the storm / Owen Bennett Jones
- The shadow of the great game : the untold story of India's partition / Narendra Singh Sarila.
- 1948: a history of the first Arab-Israeli war / Benny Morris
- The Arabs : a history / Eugene Rogan.
- Behind the silken curtain, a personal account of Anglo-American diplomacy in Palestine and the Middle East/ Bartley C. Crum.
- A concise history of the Arab-Israeli conflict / Ian J. Bickerton, Carla L. Klausner.
- Enemies and neighbors : Arabs and Jews in Palestine and Israel, 1917-2017 / Ian Black.
- A history of Israel / Howard M. Sachar. v. 1
- A history of modern Israel / Colin Shindler.
- A history of the modern Middle East / William L. Cleveland.
- Israel / John Woodward, book editor. (Opposing Viewpoints)
- Israel, the partitioned state : a political history since 1900 / Amos Perlmutter.
- The modern Middle East and North Africa : a history in documents / Julia Clancy-Smith, Charles D. Smith.
- No trumpets, no drums : a two-state settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict / Mark A. Heller, Sari Nusseibeh.
- One Palestine, complete : Jews and Arabs under the British Mandate / Tom Segev.
- The Palestine-Israeli conflict : a beginner's guide / Dan Cohn-Sherbok and Dawoud El-Alami.
- The Palestinian-Israeli conflict : a very short introduction / Martin Bunton.
- The Palestinian people : a history / Baruch Kimmerling, Joel S. Migdal.
- Promise and fulfilment: Palestine, 1917-1949 / Arthur Koestler.
- Sowing the wind : the seeds of conflict in the Middle East / John Keay.
- We need not fail / Welles, Sumner.
Taft Online Subscription databases
- Classroom Video on Demand
- JSTOR (for primary sources limit to relevant years)
- Modern World History Online
- New York Times Historical News Graphical interface
- New York Times Historical News Traditional interface
- The Times London
WebsitesSee Find and Evaluating Websites for hints on how to locate quality websites.
Please read Wikipedia's article on Academic use.
- British Pathé (a collection of 85,000 archival films and newsreels from 1896 to 1976)
Israel / Palestine
- Documents related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Israel and Palestine: A Brief History – Part 1
- Documents related to Jammu and Kashmir
- Key documents – Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Key Documents for Understanding the Arab-Israeli Conflict
- The Partition of Palestine (essay by Bernard Wasserstein from the Foreign Policy Research Institute)
- Photos of Palestine And Israel 1930-1949
- Pre-State Israel: The Partition Plan (1937-1947)
- 1947 Partition Archive (a collection of life stories recorded on video - and sometimes audio - from those who witnessed the 1947 Partition of South Asian States; includes a Partition Library with web resources)
- Getty Images: India 1947
- Indian Independence (the British Library portal to primary sources available in the India Office Records on the historical event of Indian Independence 1947)
- India-Pakistan Partition (by Mytheli Sreenivas on the website Origins: Current Events in Historical Perspective, a joint project of Ohio State University and Miami University)
- Partition of British India Timeline (from Open University)
- The Road to Partition 1939-1947 (documents from the British National Archives)
- India’s Partition in Pictures (from the BBC)