Revolutions: Democratic Revolutions Project
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
Search large collections of reference ebooks simultaneously in these databases: Gale Virtual Reference Library and Salem History. Also: Britannica Academic Online contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
- Africa: an encyclopedia for students. 2002 4 vols (an online ebook)
- Eastern Europe : an introduction to the people, lands, and culture. Ref DJK9 .E25 2005 3 vols
- Encyclopedia of conflicts after World War II. Ref D843 .E46 2007 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of democracy. Ref JC423 .E53 1995 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of Eastern Europe : from the Congress of Vienna to the fall of communism. Ref DJK6 .E53 2000
- Encyclopedia of Latin America. Ref F1406 .E5155 2010 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of Latin American history and culture. 2008 6 vols (an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of modern Asia. Ref DS4 .E53 2002 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of modern China. Ref DS755 .E53 2009 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of political revolutions. Ref JC491 .E63 1998
- Encyclopedia of Russian history. Ref DK14 .E53 2004 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of the Cold War : a political, social, and military history. Ref D840 .E63 2008 5 vols
- Encyclopedia of U. S. foreign relations. Ref E183.7 .E53 1997 4 vols
- Europe Since 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of War and Reconstruction. 2006 5 vols (an online ebook)
- Gale Encyclopedia of World History: Governments. 2008 2 vols (an online ebook)
- Great events from history : The 20th century, 1971-2000. Ref D421 .G6296 2008 5 vols (also an online ebook)
- Historic documents, 1972 - 2016. Ref E839.5 .H57 46 annual vols
- Modern China: an encyclopedia of history, culture, and nationalism. Ref DS733 .M63 1998
- New encyclopedia of Africa. 2008 5 vols (an online ebook)
- The Oxford encyclopedia of American military and diplomatic history. Ref E181 .O95 2013 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- The Oxford handbook of the Cold War. 2013 (an online ebook)
- World Today series, 2017 - 2018 [2016-2017 editions available upstairs in Main Collection]
- Africa. Ref DT1 .D6 2017/18
- East and Southeast Asia. Ref DS502 .H5 2017/18
- Latin America. Ref F1401 .L3252 2017/18
- Nordic, Central, and Southeastern Europe. Ref DL1 .N67 2017/18
- Russia and Eurasia. Ref DJK1 .R87 2017/18
The Library's RhinoCat is our automated catalog of print and non-print books, DVDs, and other library materials. It is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits.
TIPS: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project. And to find books available in ebook format, include the keyword "electronic" in your search.
(Sign out for use IN LIBRARY ONLY for duration of assignment)
- 1989 : democratic revolutions at the Cold War's end : a brief history with documents / Padraic Kenney
- Africa and the west: a documentary history...vol. 2: 1875 to the present/ William H. Worger, Nancy L. Clark,and Edward A. Alpers. DT 353.5 .E9 A34 2010 v. 2
- Against forgetting: Twentieth-century poetry of witness / Carolyn Forché. PN6101 .A32 1993
- Apartheid in South Africa: a brief history with documents / David M. Gordon. DT1757 .G67 2017
- A concise history of Poland / Jerzy Lukowski and Hubert Zawadzki. DK4140 .L85 2001
- The end of apartheid in South Africa / Lindsay Michie Eades. DT1757 .E33 1999
- The history of Chile / John L. Rector. F3081 .R43 2003
- The last empire: the final days of the Soviet Union / Serhii Plokhy. DK286 .P57 2014
- Latin America and the United States: a documentary history / Robert H. Holden and Eric Zolov. F1418 .L354 2011
- The search for modern China / Jonathan D. Spence. DS754 .S65 2013
- The search for modern China: a documentary collection / Janet Chen, Pei-Kai Cheng, Michael Lestz with Jonathan D. Spence. DS753.86 .S33 2014
See the course guide Finding Primary Sources for ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library and on the internet.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Limit your search to Full Text, Articles, and language
- American History Online Overview essays, biographies, primary sources, videos and slideshows, images, timelines, and maps and graphs in American political, military, social, and cultural history
- Britannica ImageQuest Access millions of images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- Country Reports More than 35,000 pages of cultural, historical and statistical information content on the countries of the world.
- Global Issues in Context News, perspectives, video, reference, country information, primary source documents, and statistics on issues of global importance
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century. Also contains a 19th century British pamphlet collection and ebook content.
- Modern World History Online Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- New York Times ProQuest Historical News Full-text coverage 1851-2008
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Viewpoint articles, reference content, full-text magazines, academic journals, and newspapers, primary source documents, statistics, and links to web sites
- Sirs Knowledge Source General reference database containing thousands of full-text articles and other resources. Includes a pro/con issues database and SIRS Government, a comprehensive resource for the study of all aspects of U.S. federal government, including government documents, Supreme Court decisions, and more.
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785 - 2012 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
- U.S. History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia (NOTE: you can choose to search both U.S. History in Context and World History In Context together on the advanced search page in either database)
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia (NOTE: you can choose to search both U.S. History in Context and World History In Context together using the advanced search in either database)
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
- See Find and Evaluating Websites for information on how to locate quality websites in our Library and online.
- Please read Wikipedia's article on Academic use.
The 1989 Democracy Movement (a resource list from the website Human Rights in China)
African National Congress Archives (The ANC is a national liberation movement. It was formed in 1912 to unite the African people and spearhead the struggle for fundamental political, social and economic change, and is now the governing political party of South Africa)
The Chinese pro-Democracy Movement: 1987-1989 (By Lester Kurtz for the International Center on Nonviolent Conflict)
A History of Apartheid in South Africa (from South African History Online, a non-partisan people's history project concerned with the presentation of a critical, open access, and democratic history of South Africa)
A History of Philippine Political Protest (from the Official Gazette, the official journal of the Republic of the Philippines)
Global Nonviolent Action Database (Choose Advanced search and enter your country and years of conflict)
Making the History of 1989: The Fall of Communism in Eastern Europe (essays and primary sources from the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media (CHNM) at George Mason University )
Nonviolent Conflicts (Summaries that discuss the history behind, actions during, and ensuing events of major nonviolent movements of the 20th and 21st Centuries; from the International Center for Nonviolent Conflict)
Socialism and Democracy in China after Mao Zedong (a selection of documents from Asia for Educators, Columbia University)
Solidarity in Poland (from Seventeen Moments in Soviet History, a multi-media archive of primary materials designed to introduce students and the general public to the richness and contradictions of Soviet history)
South Africa: Overcoming Apartheid, Building Democracy (This educational website provides primary source materials, newly-written narrative, and curriculum ideas for teaching high school and undergraduate students about the many generations who struggled to end apartheid and build democracy in South Africa; from Michigan State University)
Tiananmen Square, 1989: The Declassified History (from the National Security Archive, George Washington University)
U. S. Central Intelligence Agency Freedom of Information Act Electronic Reading Room (Choose Advanced search and enter your country and years of conflict to access declassified U.S. government documents)
In addition to the database Britannica ImageQuest, you can use these sites to find images:
- Finding Public Domain Images for Multimedia Projects (from EdTechTeacher.org)
- Wikimedia Commons (a collection of over 40 million freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute)
- Google Images (click on Tools -- Choose Usage Rights -- Choose Labelled for noncommercial reuse)
- Creative Commons Search (Search across a variety of open content through a single interface, including Flikr, Google Images, Wikimedia Commons, and others. This search service helps you quickly find those authors and the work they have marked as free to use with only "some rights reserved." If you respect the rights they have reserved (which will be clearly marked, as you'll see) then you can use the work without having to contact them and ask. In some cases, you may even find work in the public domain -- that is, free for any use with "no rights reserved.")
Anti-Apartheid Posters (from the African National Congress Archives; may be used for your projects)
Chilean Protest Murals (Created in and around Santiago between 1983 and 1990, the murals document the spirit, force, and iconography of political protest during an important period of Chilean history; from the Widener Library of Harvard University. Note: We hope to get permission for you to use images, but do not have it as of 4/30/2018)