Revolutions: Post-World War II Decolonization of India, Ghana, Egypt, and Vietnam
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
START HERE: These resources provide essential background information - who, what, when, where, why, how
Search large collections of reference ebooks simultaneously in these databases: Gale Virtual Reference Library and Salem History. Also: Britannica Academic Online contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access. Additionally, a number of other databases contain reference articles (see Taft Online Subscription Databases below)
- Africana: the encyclopedia of the African and African American experience. Ref DT14 .A37436 2005
- The Cambridge encyclopedia of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, and the Maldives. Ref DS334.9 .C36 1989
- Colonialism: an international social, cultural, and political encyclopedia. Ref JV22 .C65 2003
- Encyclopedia of African history. Ref DT20 .E53 2005
- Encyclopedia of Asian history. Ref DS31 .E53 1987 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of conflicts since World War II. Ref D843 .E46 2007
- Encyclopedia of India. Ref DS405 .E556 2006 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Encyclopedia of modern Asia. Ref DS4 .D53 2002 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- The encyclopedia of the Cold War: a political, social, and military history. Ref D840 .E63 2008 5 vols
- Encyclopedia of Western colonialism since 1450. Ref JV22 .E535 2007
- Great events from history: the 20th century, 1941-1970. Ref D421 .G6295 2008 6 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great lives from history: the 20th century, 1901-2000. Ref CT120 .G687 2008 10 vols (also an online ebook)
- World today series:
- Africa. Ref DT1 .D6 2018/19 (earlier edition on reserve)
- East and Southeast Asia. Ref DS502 .H53 2018/19 (earlier edition on reserve)
- The Middle East and south Asia. Ref DS41 .C55 (earlier edition on reserve)
Books on reserve at the Circulation Desk
(Sign out for use IN LIBRARY ONLY for duration of assignment)
Look for additional books by searching RhinoCat, the Library's automated catalog of books, ebooks, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCat is available from any browser at http://library.taftschool.org. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCat that sounds useful, open the book's full record, scroll down and click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project.
See the course guide Find Primary Sources for ways to locate documents in our library and online.
- Churchill Archive Includes more than 800,000 pages of original documents, produced between 1874 and 1965
- New York Times ProQuest Historical News Full-text coverage 1851-2008
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785 - 2012 More than 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Biography in Context Biographies of more than 650,000 individuals from Gale's vast reference collection as well as related full-text articles from journals, magazines and newspapers, audio-visual content, and websites.
- Biography Reference Bank Biographies of more than 600,000 individuals, including the full-text of Current Biography magazine 1940 - current
- Daily Life Through History (Academic) This comprehensive collection of primary and secondary sources provides insight into the social history of societies from prehistory to the 21st-century. Includes authoritative content from more than 75 Greenwood reference works and original journal articles from prominent historians.
- History Reference Center An Ebsco database featuring content from reference books, non-fiction books, and history periodicals
- Modern World History Online Reference articles, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
- Journal article databases
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Limit your search to Full Text, Articles, and language
- JSTOR Extensive backfiles of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century. Also contains a 19th century British pamphlet collection and ebook content.
- Image database
- Britannica ImageQuest Access millions of images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use
- See also Websites below for links to several image websites.
- Video database
- Classroom Video On Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- From the Wikipedia essay on Academic use: "Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic writing or research."
- 9 Powerpoint Presentation Tips for Students (from Lifewire, a leading technology information site)
- Ten Simple Rules for Effective Oral Presentations by Philip E. Bourne
- To find reliable websites:
Here's an example using Ghana . Think about other terms you can swap in and out.
You can also limit your search to reliable domains by including the phrase site:gov OR site:edu OR site:ac.uk (gov for U. S. government agencies; edu for educational institutions in the U.S.; ac.uk for educational institutions in the United Kingdom.)
*For more information on finding high quality websites, see Find and Evaluate Websites.
In addition to the database Britannica ImageQuest, you can use these sites to find images:
- Finding Public Domain Images for Multimedia Projects (from EdTechTeacher.org)
- Wikimedia Commons (a collection of over 51 million freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute)
- Google Images (Filter your results to find images that you have permission to use by clicking on Tools -- Choose Usage Rights -- Choose Labelled for noncommercial reuse)