Senior Research and Composition: General Guide
- How to Use NoodleTools
- Purdue OWL Sample Chicago-Turabian style research paper
- Taft History Department Research Guide prepared by Greg Hawes, 2005
- A Writers Responsibility - Cornell University English Department (a guide to understanding plagiarism)
Encyclopedias and Reference Books/eBooks
Search large collections of ebooks simultaneously in these databases:: Gale Virtual Reference Library, Infobase ebooks, and Salem History. Also: Britannica Academic Online contains the complete Encyclopedia Britannica plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access.
The Library's RhinoCAT is an automated catalog of books, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCAT is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCAT that sounds useful, click on Browse shelf to find additional books for your research project.
See the course guide Finding Primary Sources for ways to find documents and primary sources in our Library.
Taft Online Subscription Databases
Refer to Databases on the Library homepage for complete list
For journal articles:
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Refine your results list using options in the left sidebar, including full text, date range, source types, and more
- JSTOR Hundreds of full-text scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century.
- Classroom Video on Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
- Global Issues in Context News, perspectives, video, reference, country information, primary source documents, and statistics on issues of global importance
- Issues in the News (Offered by America's Historical Newspapers)
- New York Times 1851-2009 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) Full-text coverage back to the first issue in 1851
- New York Times 1980-current (ProQuest) Traditional interface and full-text coverage
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Viewpoint articles, reference content, full-text magazines, academic journals, and newspapers, primary source documents, statistics, and links to web sites
- SIRS Knowledge Source General reference database containing thousands of full-text articles and other resources, including U. S. government documents
- The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785-1985 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
- U.S. History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
- See Find and Evaluating Websites for information on how to locate quality websites in our Library and online.
- From the Wikipedia essay on Academic use: "Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic writing or research."