U.S. History: America in World War II
See also Finding Primary Sources hints for finding documents and primary sources in our Library.
The Library's RhinoCAT is an automated catalog of books, DVDs, and other library materials. RhinoCAT is available from any browser at http://taft.bywatersolutions.com. It is also accessible from your TaftNet homepage. A keyword search using a broad term will yield the most hits. TIP: When you identify a book in RhinoCAT that sounds useful, find it on the shelf and BROWSE books on either side of it to find additional books for your research project.
Encyclopedias and Reference Books / eBooks
Search large collections of ebooks simultaneously: Gale Virtual Reference Library, Infobase ebooks, and Salem History
Also: Encyclopedia Britannica Online, the complete EB, plus authoritative websites and full-text journal access
- ABC-CLIO companion to women in the workplace. Ref HD6095 .S34 1993
- Almanac of American military history. Ref E 181 .T93 2013 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- American Home Front in World War II. 2005 4 vols (an online ebook)
- Americans at war: society, culture, and the homefront. Ref 181 .A453 2005 4 vols (also an online ebook)
- Atlas of American military history. Ref E 181 .A85 2003
- Battlefield: decisive conflicts in history. Ref D 25 .B25 2006
- Biographical dictionary of World War II. Ref D 736 .B63 1996
- Conflicts in American history: a documentary encyclopedia. Ref E174 .C655 2010 8 vols (also an online ebook)
- Dictionary of American history. Ref E174.D52 2003 10 vols (also an online ebook)
- Dictionary of American military biography. Ref U 52 .D53 1984 3 vols
- Encyclopedia of African-American history, 1896 to the present. Ref E185 .E5453 2009 5 vols
- Encyclopedia of American Indian history. Ref E 77 .E48 2008 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of American social history. Ref HN 57 .E58 1992 3 vols
- Encyclopedia of Japanese American internment. Ref D769.8.A6 E64 2013
- Encyclopedia of media and propaganda in wartime America. Ref E 181 .E6313 2011 2 vols
- Encyclopedia of the Holocaust. Ref D804.3 .E53 1990 4 vols
- Encyclopedia of women in American history. Ref HQ1410 .E53 2002 3 vols
- Encyclopedia of World War II: a political, social, and military history. Ref D740 .E516 2005 5 vols
- Eyewitness to America's wars. Ref E181 .A943 2011 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- The forties in America. Ref E 740.7 1940 F67 2011 3 vols (also an online ebook)
- Great events from history:
- History of World War II. Ref D 743 .H59 2004 3 vols
- Oxford companion to World War II. Ref D 740 .O94 1995
- Oxford encyclopedia of American military and diplomatic history. Ref E181 .O95 2013 2 vols (also an online ebook)
- Social history of the United States. Ref HN 57 .S622 2009 10 vols
- St. James Encyclopedia of Labor History Worldwide. 2 vols 2004 (an online ebook)
- The United States at war. Ref E 181 .U64 2005 2 vols
- World War II. (History in dispute series). Ref D 20 .H543 vols. 4 and 5 (also an online ebook)
- World War II [1939-1943]. (History in dispute series) vol 4 2000 (an online ebook)
- World War II [1943-1945]. (History in dispute series) 2000 (an online ebook)
- World War II and the postwar years in America : a historical and cultural encyclopedia. Ref E806 .Y73 2010 2 vols
- World War II in the Pacific. Ref D 767 .W68 2001
- World War II Reference Library. 2000 5 vols (an online ebook)
Taft Online Subscriptions
Academic Search Complete (Ebsco) Full text access to thousands of journals in all disciplines
Academic Video Online: Premium The largest and most comprehensive video subscription available to libraries. It delivers over 45,000 video titles spanning essential subject areas, including anthropology, business, counseling, history, music, film, science, and more
America’s Historical Newspapers 1690 – 2000 Full facsimile images of American papers back to the colonial era
American History Online Contains overview essays, biographies, primary sources, videos, slideshows, images, timelines, and maps and graphs
Annals of American History Search 2700+ primary source documents and multimedia by author, decade, or topic
Classroom Video on Demand Provides access to thousands of full-length videos and clips on core-curriculum topics
Daily Life through History Explore aspects of everyday life in different historical eras through thousands of primary sources, media and reference information. (Tip: limit search results by Media: photos and illustrations; political cartoons, posters and document images; video; maps)
Encyclopedia Britannica Image Quest Access more than 2 million images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use
Issues and Controversies in American History Background, outcomes, and contemporary points of view for every major debate and conflict in American history
JSTOR Extensive backfiles of scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and sciences, many dating back to the 19th century
Liberty Magazine Historical Archive, 1924-1950 Liberty flourished when illustrated magazines were the most important form of mass entertainment, charting the moods, attitudes, lifestyles, fads, and fortunes of middle class America through three significant decades.
Modern World History Online Overview essays, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
National Geographic Virtual Library Features the entire magazine archive 1888 - present.
The Times (London) Digital Archive 1785-1985 200 years of news in full facsimile images from London's premier newspaper
U. S. History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia
World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
See Finding and Evaluating Websites for hints on how to locate quality websites.
Finding Public Domain Images for Multimedia Projects
Wars and the Home Front: Exhibitions and Presentations (multimedia resources from the Library of Congress) http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/the...
Women's History: Exhibitions and Presentations (multimedia resources from the Library of Congress) http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/the...
Digital History: World War II (Comprehensive U.S. history website from the Univ. of Houston's College of Education) http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/era.cfm?eraID=15&...
FedFlix (hosted by the Internet Archive, FedFlix is a collection of nearly 2000 films all in the public domain produced by the US government during the 20th Century) https://archive.org/details/FedFlix
Franklin (Access to the digital collections in the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum) http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collecti...
Historic government publications from World War II: a digital library (Reproductions of several hundred government documents; browse by title or keyword search; from Southern Methodist University) http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/all/cul/hgp/
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History: History by Era (History by Era contains our historical content, organized by time period, with resources ranging from essays and videos by award-winning historians to primary sources with historical introductions, transcripts, and images) http://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-by-era
Hyperwar: a hypertext history of the Second World War (content consists primarily of official documents produced by various agencies of the United States, United Kingdom and British Commonwealth governments, and useful links) http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
National Museum of the U.S. Air Force: World War II Gallery (The gallery captures the pivotal moments, campaigns and figures of U.S. Army Air Forces' air power in both the Pacific and European Theaters)http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhib...
Naval History and Heritage Command: World War II (NHHC is the official site of U.S. Navy history) http://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/wars-c...
Partners in Winning the War: American Women in World War II (an exhibit from the National Women's History Museum) https://www.nwhm.org/online-exhibits/partners/exhi...
World War II Poster Collection (hundreds of posters issued by various U.S. government agencies; from Northwestern Univ. Library) http://www.library.northwestern.edu/libraries-coll...