Find Free or Rights-Cleared Images for Projects
Taft Online Subscription Databases
- Britannica ImageQuest Access millions of images which are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use.
- Images found in the following EBSCO, Gale, Infobase, and other subscription databases are copyright rights-cleared and may be used by subscribers for educational purposes, including:
- Academic Search Complete Access full-text articles in thousands of magazines and journals. Tip: Limit your search to Full Text, Articles, and language
- American History Online Reference articles, biographies, primary sources, videos and slideshows, images, timelines, and maps and graphs in American political, military, social, and cultural history.
- Ancient and Medieval History Online Reference articles, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos on eight ancient and medieval civilizations.
- Biography in Context Biographies of more than 650,000 individuals from Gale's vast reference collection as well as related full-text articles from journals, magazines and newspapers, audio-visual content, and websites.
- Daily Life Through History (Academic) This comprehensive collection of primary and secondary sources provides insight into the social history of societies from prehistory to the 21st-century. Includes authoritative content from more than 75 Greenwood reference works and original journal articles from prominent historians.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library Search hundreds of reference ebooks all together or one at a time. Links to these books are also available through our online catalog.
- Global Issues in Context News, perspectives, video, reference, country information, primary source documents, and statistics on issues of global importance.
- Issues & Controversies Provides exclusive, extensive coverage of hundreds of today's hot topics, with unbiased analysis and rich related resources.
- Issues & Controversies in American History Background, outcomes, and primary sources for every major debate and conflict in American history.
- Modern World History Reference articles, biographies, events and topics, primary source documents, timelines, maps and charts, images and videos from the mid-15th century to the present.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Viewpoint articles, reference content, full-text magazines, academic journals, and newspapers, primary source documents, statistics, and links to web sites.
- Science in Context Topic overviews, experiments, biographies, and links to quality websites, as well as coverage of the latest scientific developments in over 200 magazines and academic journals.
- Science Reference Center Contains full text for hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals and other reliable sources. Also includes the Science Image Collection, a database of more than 270,000 high-quality science images.
- U.S. History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia.
- World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras Authoritative primary and secondary sources, reference articles, in-depth explorations of key topics, and profiles of city-states, countries, and regions of the ancient world.
- World History in Context Comprehensive collection of reference sources, primary documents, periodicals, maps and multimedia.
- World History: The Modern Era Covers the history of the world from 1500 to the present. Includes reference articles, media and primary source material.
9 Great Websites for Images to Use in Class and School Projects Scroll down past the "poster" for links to the websites (from Educational Technology and Mobile Learners, a resource of educational web tools and mobile apps for teachers and educators).
Creative Commons Search Search for freely-usable images simultaneously from Flikr, Google, Wikimedia Commons, and more.
Flickr Commons Scroll down for The Commons search box. The key goal of The Commons is to share hidden treasures "with no known copyright restrictions" from the world's public photography archives.
For more information about finding and using images, the following guides are informative:
- Finding Open Access Images "This guide [from University of Pennsylvania Libraries] will give you access to different types of images which are available for public use, explain different types of licensing, and show you how to correctly attribute any images you may use."
- Finding Copyright-Free Images "This guide [by Michael Blake, Director, Oliver Wendell Holmes Library, Phillips Andover Academy] will help you to identify and use images that are not subject to copyright."