The Tremaine Art Studio
The Tremaine Art Studio is a quintessential artist’s space. The vast studio features a thirty-five foot, barrel-vaulted ceiling, natural light, and architectural details that reflect the history of the space. Part of Horace Dutton Taft (HDT) Hall, the studio was completed in 1914, and used as a study hall. It has been home to Taft’s artists since the 1970s.
In 2011, the Tremaine Art Studio underwent months of renovation designed to preserve its original beauty, while enhancing its utility as a premier work and study place for artists. The work included the installation of new windows, electric shades with east and west controls to maximize the benefit of the natural light in the space, new light fixtures, and a digital room with computers, scanners, and Wacom drawing tablets. The project was funded by the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation to honor Emily’s great-grandchildren, B. Tyler Tremaine ’95 and Whitney Tremaine O’Brien ’96.
In its first role as a study hall, the Tremaine Art Studio was almost large enough to house Taft’s full student body.
Emily Hall Tremaine and her husband, Burton G. Tremaine, Sr., were collectors of 20th century art; Emily’s artistic vision guided her to works from artists who, at the time were just starting to define contemporary art. Their collection of more than 400 works was widely considered to be one of the finest reflections of contemporary art in the nation, and included works by Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, and Robert Rauschenberg. Emily established the foundation that bears her name prior to her death in 1987. The bulk of her collection was sold at auction in 1988 and 1991 to create the asset base for the foundation, which is dedicated in part to innovative and educational programs in the arts.