Please note: The GPS address for the Taft School athletic facilities is 90 Guernseytown Road, Watertown, CT
Donald F. McCullough ’42 Athletic Center
The Donald F. McCullough '42 Athletic Center is just one part of our expansive athletic complex, housing five of our eight squash courts, a weight room, fitness studio, and a field house with indoor tennis and basketball courts, as well as an indoor track.
Donaldson Family Pavilion and Tennis Courts
Constructed in 2012 and a gift from Bill and Jane Donaldson and sons Matt ’88 and Adam ’08, the Donaldson Family Pavilion gives spectators a comfortable perch overlooking our 12 tennis courts. A second pergola for the players sits alongside Court 1.
Geoffrey C. Camp ’91 Field (synthetic turf)
A space to honor the memory of alumnus Geoffrey Camp, as well as longtime Athletic Trainer Maryann Laska, the field was redesigned in 2007 with artificial turf, and is home to Varsity Field Hockey in the fall, and Boys’ and Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse in the spring.
Katie Jackson Morrison ’92 Field
Known around campus as “KJM,” the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team plays on Katie Jackson Morrison ’92 field, a space to honor and remember Katie’s enthusiasm, perseverance, and the spirit that defined her. In the spring, Girls’ JV Lacrosse calls KJM field their home.
Lawrence H. Stone Baseball Pavilion at Rockwell Field
Named for longtime coach and athletic director emeritus Larry Stone, the Lawrence Hunter Stone Baseball Pavilion was dedicated in 2009. Centrally located on campus, the Pavilion is a great place to catch the varsity baseball action on Rockwell Field. The baseball complex also features two hitting tunnels. A bit of Taft baseball trivia: Mr. Taft is said to have loved baseball so much that he waited until he had enough graduates to field a team to host the school's first reunion.
Logan Field House
Logan Field House honors James P. Logan, who came to Taft in the fall of 1933—at the invitation of Horace Taft—to teach physics and mechanical drawing. The field house was built in 1969 the year Logan, remembered by all as a “superior coach,” left Taft. The field house was built next to Mays Rink, and moved the gymnasiums from the original campus to their current spot on the hill. The field house is home to the John Wynne Wrestling Room, an athletic training and rehab facility, and our team locker rooms.
Named for Eddie Mays ’27 and opened in 1950, our rink was the first indoor, artificial ice surface in New England. Our faculty and boys did much of the construction work, accumulating more than 3,000 man hours on the project. The roof was added in 1957.
Odden Hockey Arena
Built in 2001 to honor headmaster emeritus Lance Odden and his wife, the legendary coach Patsy Odden, the arena boasts an international-sized ice surface with six locker rooms, reception room, and seating for 600 spectators. It has been home to the annual Patsy K. Odden Invitational Hockey Tournament since 1982.
Parents’ Association Field House
Adjacent to Rockefeller Field and Weaver Track, the field house was constructed in 1938 and provides locker rooms for our football and track teams. It originally included a reception room for tea and cookies after the games; that space has since been turned into faculty housing.
Paul and Edith Cruikshank Athletic Center
Paul Cruikshank was Taft’s second headmaster, leading the school for 27 years. Edith had almost as much influence on the student body, as a friend and mentor to all. Completed in 1980, the Cruikshank Athletic Center is home to volleyball, basketball, and squash courts, as well as a climbing wall. It sits between Odden Arena and the Logan Field House in our athletic complex.
Our football field is one of the oldest athletic sites on campus—a gift of Elsie Rockefeller in 1922, at the urging of her sons Sterling '24 and Stillman '20. In fact, it hints at the earliest rivalry between Taft and Hotchkiss. In a 1922 letter to Mr. Taft offering “a bit of a present” to the school Elsie wrote: “They tell me Hotchkiss has a much better field—why can’t we have just as good a one?” The field’s viewing stands are dedicated to the memory of beloved coach Bob Poole '50.
The boys' varsity soccer team calls Snyder Field, located just behind Centennial, its home for the fall season. You'll find the ultimate Frisbee team enjoying the field in the spring.
In addition to being the home of the varsity softball team, the field is also a popular spot after dinner in the spring, when the pre-study ball league (PSBL) begins.
Taft’s Course at Watertown Golf Club
Harley Fish Roberts started the Taft golf program in 1901 when he laid out the original nine-hole course on campus. Today the Watertown Golf Club has been transformed from its original 9-holes to an 18-hole championship course that plays host to all home Taft matches and the Connecticut Golf Association’s Junior Amateur Championship.
William Weaver Track
Added to our athletic facilities in 1999 and updated in 2016, our state-of-the-art 400-meter all-weather track encircles Rockefeller field, and was a gift of William Weaver, father of Wendy '79.