Boys' Soccer - Varsity
Williston Northampton School
Subscribe to Alerts
Williston Northampton School
Win 6-0
Playing its third road game of the week, The Big Red jumped out to an early lead and returned from Williston with a 6-0 victory. In the 4th minute of play, Mthabisi Tshuma played a through ball to Carter Veley, who pulled the ball back to the top of the Williston penalty area, where Sammed Bawa was charging towards the ball. On his first touch, Bawa blasted the ball under the crossbar and out of the reach of the goalkeeper to give Taft a 1-0 lead. In the 11th minute, Veley picked up his second assist of the match after he won the ball deep in Williston territory and played it to Mthabisi Tshuma, who was free right in front of the goal. Tshuma took a touch and buried ball in the far corner to double Taft’s advantage. Less than a minute later, Tshuma found the back of the net again. A through ball from Marvin Sibanda handcuffed the Williston goalkeeper, and Tshuma pounced on the loose ball, sidestepped a defender, and rolled the ball into the back of the net. Williston fought back and created a few quality chances as the half progressed. With strong, physical forwards and speedy wingers, Williston came close to getting on the scoreboard. Fortunately, Shayan Karimi made the necessary saves, and the back four of Jayce Fraser, Dylan Powell, Jordan Miller, and Ethan Hindle did well to disrupt the Williston attack. In the second half, The Rhinos showed off their depth, as Rex Riefler and Kevin Wharfe took turns patrolling the midfield, Cole Torino and Dan Yen were dangerous down the flank, and Diky Izmirlian was reliable on the back line. The score remained 3-0 in favor of the visitors until the 71st minute when Sibanda played a fantastic pass that left Bawa with very little to do in front of goal. Bawa calmly rolled the ball into the back of the net, and The Rhinos took a 4-0 lead. Later, Sibanda collected his third assist of the game, playing a long free kick into the penalty area, where Jordan Miller volleyed the ball home on his first touch. In the waning minutes, a nice series of passes put the ball at Jackson Lardner’s feet on the left flank. Lardner got around his defender and whipped the ball across the goalmouth. Running hard, Peter Horne met the ball in front of goal and used his stomach to deflect the ball past the keeper for his fourth goal of the season. It was another solid performance for The Big Red, and the team will now prepare for its fourth straight road match, a mid-week tilt with the Crimson Knights of Salisbury.