Boys' Soccer - JV
Loomis Chaffee School
Subscribe to Alerts
Win 3-1
The Taft JV boys soccer team faced an always tough Loomis side on Saturday 4Nov17 at Taft on a cool fall afternoon. From the start, everyone could see that the teams were evenly matched with many good players on both sides. Taft was fairly short-handed with only two substitutes on the bench available to spell the starters in a long eighty minute match. Both teams were passing the ball well and earning chances but no goals were tallied until the fifteenth minute when Joel Edholm worked very hard to get through the Loomis defense to then let go a ripper that rebounded off a defender to C.J. D'Virgilio who took a quick one-hitter that snuck inside the far post to make the score one nil Taft. C.J. has been working hard on this shot in practice and it paid off early in this match to give Taft the lead. Loomis did not roll over and perish, however, but stiffened their resolve and earned the equalizer in thirty fifth minute as Taft again failed to clear a corner kick well away from our goal. Corner kick defense has been trouble for us all year. Therefore we really tried to not give up any more corners to a determined Loomis side and largely succeeded. The first half ended with Taft and Loomis tied at one. The second half was more of the same good soccer that was enjoyed by all in attendance during the first half. Back and forth action, stiff but fair with both teams giving their all. Taft earned our second goal in the forty seventh minute as Nick Kennerson took a nice free kick from just inside the half line to Mayan Ewert who assisted C.J. D'Virgilio for his second goal of the match. C.J. and all of the boys played really hard and well for the entire eighty minutes. The back line of Lachlan Berray, Max Fossland, Nick and Stephen Cho were pretty much sent out to play eighty minutes with no help available off the bench. They managed and in fact thrived against very good players! Loomis again really brought the game to us be our defense was stiff and did not break after bending a bit. Taft went ahead by two in the sixtieth minute as Nick Kennerson sent a lovely corner in to an unmarked Joel Edholm, who hammered in a low header that was a true thing of beauty. Our lads didn't let up and in fact earned more good chances but we were happy with the three one result when the referees final whistle blew three times. This was a really good win for us today. Everyone played well and Coach Hincker and I were well-pleased with the effort of each and every boy in red. Chris Murphy played well goal, Alex Brown was his usual energetic, frightening self out on the wing and Edvin Tran Hoac dipsi-doodled plenty in the midfield. Our next and last match is this Saturday up in Lakeville against you-know-who. Our records are similar so I anticipate a very good match. We hope to see you there!