Martin Health Center
The Martin Health Center is open 24/7 to help students be well, stay well, and, if need be, get well. In addition to the physician and nurses at the health center, Taft’s professional medical team includes trained counselors and certified athletic trainers to help students maintain healthy and balanced lifestyles.
- About the Martin Health Center
- Local Hospitals and Pharmacy
- Health Insurance
- Immunization Requirements
- Martin Health Center Staff
- Forms, Handbook, and Insurance Information
- Contact the Martin Health Center
Located on the ground floor of Congdon House, Martin Health Center is a 13-bed infirmary, inspected and licensed biannually by the State of Connecticut. It is open 24 hours/day, seven days/week when school is in session. Our goal as allied health-care professionals is to provide excellent primary health care in order to maximize students’ ability to participate fully in the activities of boarding school life.
Taft is committed to educating the whole student. The mission of the Health Center is to promote and maintain the good health of students by modifying or removing health-related barriers to learning. The dedicated staff is a competent and concerned group of medical professionals with extensive experience working with adolescents who hope to teach students to make informed and mature decisions about their health.
While adolescence is a time when young people are asserting their independence, we recognize that parents are still an extremely important part of their child’s life. We know that receiving a call that your child is sick or injured can be most upsetting. It is our hope that parents will participate fully in making important decisions concerning the health education and well-being of their children. We strive to establish and maintain effective communication between students, parents and the Health Center staff.
St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury is used for emergency services. The main phone is 203-709-6000. The emergency department phone is 203-709-6004.
Waterbury Hospital services are also available. Phone: 203-573-6290.
Health Complex Pharmacy delivers prescription medication to the health center. It is recommended that student insurance information be on file there. Phone: 860-274-8816.
The Taft School requires that all students have health insurance coverage that is accepted in the state of Connecticut and therefore requires that students confirm their coverage under their existing plan of insurance or, if they do not have any existing insurance, obtain such coverage. It is impossible for Taft to know the specifics of each student's health insurance and whether it will provide "adequate coverage" for the needs of the student in the State of Connecticut. It is up to the family to determine if they have "adequate" coverage and families are responsible for all medical expenses including, but not limited to prescriptions, laboratory charges, orthopedic supplies, and treatment and services provided outside the Martin Health Center. Along these lines, The Taft School requires all international students obtain coverage through Clifford Allen Associates. Also a fee is charged for transportation to medical/dental facilities outside the school.
Detailed immunization records and proof of tuberculin screening is required for all new students.
- TWO MMR (measles-mumps-rubella vaccines)
- Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis series plus booster within 10 years
- Polio series with booster after age 4
- Hepatitis B (series of 3)
- Varicella (date of chickenpox illness or two vaccines)
- Meningitis vaccine (menactra or menveo). A booster is required 5 years after the initial dose.
- TB test within one year of entering Taft
Returning students to Taft must complete the "returning student medical form" plus update any additional information including changes in addresses and insurance information.
All completed health forms should be returned to the Martin Health Center. The Health Center can be contacted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To securely send electronic version of forms, visit https://taftschool.leapfile.net
- Health Requirements
- Health and Medical History Form (including the Concussion Assumption of Risk and Release form) *** NOTE: THIS FORM MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO THE HEALTH CENTER***
- Concussion Information Letter
- Medication Policy Reminder
- Taft Immunization Policy
- CT State Immunization Requirements
- Health Center Handbook
- International Student Insurance Certificate of Coverage
- International Student Insurance Plan Summary
- International Student Insurance Enrollment